The BIO-FLEX® trade name indicates blends of co-polyester and PLA* with, depending on the particular grade, a very high content of natural resource material. BIO-FLEX® does not contain any starch or starch derivatives.
Bioplastics generally replace conventional materials such as low density polyethylene (LDPE) ,high density polythene (HDPE) as well as polystyrene (PS) and polypropylene (PP). For packaging applications these need to be converted into film which is as thin as possible while maintaining high tensile strength.
Depending on the specific application, packaging films also have to provide a high barrier against humidity, oxygen and flavor or alternatively provide adequate permeability (“breathability”).
Many of these requirements are met with the various BIO-FLEX® grades.
BIO-FLEX® from FKuR has the following major advantages compared to competitive products:
- very high content of natural resource raw material (depending on grade)
- Outstanding mechanical properties (similar to LDPE, HDPE and PP depending on the grade)
- Superior barrier properties (with BIO-FLEX® S series and BIO-FLEX® A series) or high breathability (with BIO-FLEX® F series)
- Wide processing window
- Processable on standard extrusion machinery with a high throughput
- Printable without corona treatment. Can easily be coloured with Masterbatches based on PLA.
- Biodegradability and compostability certified by independent organisations.
*The PLA used for the production of BIO-FLEX® is supplied by NatureWorks.