Bio-Flex® - Biodegradable plastics for extrusion
BIO-FLEX® are easy to process PLA based blends generally for film applications. Depending on the grade, BIO-FLEX® contains a high percentage of natural resource materials.
The BIO-FLEX® trade name indicates blends of co-polyester and PLA* with, depending on the particular grade, a very high content of natural resource material. BIO-FLEX® does not contain any starch or starch derivatives.
Bioplastics generally replace conventional materials such as low density polyethylene (LDPE), high density polythene (HDPE) as well as polystyrene (PS) and polypropylene (PP). For packaging applications these materials need to be converted into film which is as thin as possible while maintaining high tensile strength.
Depending on the specific application, packaging films have to provide a high barrier against humidity, oxygen and aromas or alternatively provide adequate permeability (“breathability”).
Many of these requirements are met with the various BIO-FLEX® grades.
BIO-FLEX® from FKuR has the following major advantages when compared to competitive products:
- very high content of natural resource material (depending on grade)
- Outstanding mechanical properties (similar to LDPE, HDPE and PP depending on grade)
- Superior barrier properties (with BIO-FLEX® S series and BIO-FLEX® A series) or high breathability ( with BIO-FLEX® F series)
- Wide processing window
- Processable on standard extrusion machinery with high throughput
- Printable without corona treatment. Can easily be coloured
- Biodegradability and compostability certified by independent organisations.
(*The PLA used for the production of BIO-FLEX® is supplied by NatureWorks.)